SPL is growing and we are looking for more great employees like you!
SPL is a globally recognized industry leader in flow assurance, hydrocarbon measurement, characterization, and production analytics. We specialize in third-party services for operators across the hydrocarbon value chain. More than 90 percent of the world’s majors and 85 percent of America’s leading independent operators have used SPL as a trusted partner.
The company combines ISO-certified labs in key basins throughout North America, verifiable test methods, and world-renowned scientists with patented software and digital workflows to bring more confidence and insights to our customers’ data.
We specialize in multiple areas of the value chain:
- Field employees work to calibrate equipment, program and automate systems, and perform instrumentation and equipment work on client sites.
- Lab employees take samples that have been collected in the field and run a multitude of tests for environmental factors and quality of the product. We also have a blending lab that works to create the chemicals that other companies use to calibrate their analytical equipment.
- The Production Analytics team audits existing field structures and design, balances our client’s entire systems, and allocates royalties to maximize profits.
SPL is expanding our footprint internationally in the production, midstream, finished products, and environmental markets. We are also focused on developing industry-leading automation and data analytics tools that will help our customers ensure the integrity of their data.
The Scientist must be team oriented, proactive, and goal driven. This position will be responsible for designing, developing, and conducting laboratory methods and experiments. The Scientist will analyze, interpret, report, and present the resulting data with appropriate recommendations that meet customer needs. Will use independence and judgment to recognize and resolve problems within established policies and procedures and is accountable for the quality, timeliness and accuracy of own work.
- Design experiments from the concept phase to meet the customer or project needs without oversight
- Meet with customers (internal and external) to understand testing purpose, deliverables, and questions are to be answered
- When necessary, develop new techniques or perform literature searches and adapt testing conditions
- Perform the necessary checks to qualify and validate new tests or protocols
- Assess equipment needs and make recommendations to management if changes are needed to meet customer requests
- Develop R&D projects that further enhance AFS capabilities without the need of oversight
- Understand trends within the industry by interacting at conferences with peers and developing relationships
- Present R&D ideas to management with an executable timeline and cost
- Oversee the R&D project and report findings; evaluate project value and make recommendations
- Set up experiments and maintain critical testing equipment
- Ensure procedures are within the operating parameters of the equipment and equipment is functioning properly before beginning testing
- Monitor test and adjust parameters as needed
- Perform routine maintenance on equipment and troubleshoot when issues arise
- Interpretation of results beyond organization of data
- QA/QC test results to ensure the data is meaningful and scientifically valid
- Determining pass / fail assessment and interpret results based upon the customer’s needs
- Develop addition testing recommendations for work scopes based on ongoing results to ensure key questions are answered
- Develop “what-if” scenarios to provide further insights and options to customers
- Write reports and present data directly to the customer
- Organize the data, interpretation, and conclusions into a report and / or presentation for customers
- Lead meetings and communicate results to the customer, participate in discussions to help customers evaluate options
- MS Degree or higher in a science (or BS degree with 5+ years of experience)
- Experience in oil and gas production projects, particularly in the areas of flow assurance and lab testing preferred
- Must be comfortable working with/handling chemicals
- Must be able to manage multiple ongoing projects and priorities to ensure on time completion of work
- Must work well in a small team setting, helping with other projects as needed to ensure company goals and timelines are achieved. This includes ensuring the lab and equipment are properly cleaned and maintained.
- Must be able to think critically, providing solutions and bringing value to customers
- High proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Word, and Power Point required, other similar data and word processing software is a plus
- Ability to write professional technical reports and prepare effective presentations preferred
Physical Demands and Work Environment
- Working conditions are normal for an office and laboratory environment.
- Work is performed in an environment that involves exposure to hazardous and/or toxic chemicals.
- Work may be performed at height conditions.
- Physical requirements needed to perform the job duties are as follows:
- Standing – moderate
- Walking – moderate
- Carrying up to 10lbs
- Equipment includes copier, printer, fax, machine, scanner and computer.