BayREN Program Specialist
Salary: $67,596 -$82,176 annually based on qualifications and experience.
The BayREN Program Specialist reports to the Director of Climate Programs and BayREN Water Upgrades Save Program Manager and is responsible for supporting RCPA’s role in the Bay Area Regional Energy Network (BayREN). The position is in Santa Rosa, California, with an option to work remotely up to two days a week. The selected candidate will support the regional implementation of the BayREN Water Upgrades Save program and local government access to and integration of additional BayREN energy efficiency programs.
Application Instructions: Interested applicants should submit a cover letter, resume, and completed supplemental questionnaire with “BayREN Program Specialist” in the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
BayREN Water Upgrades Save ― Regional Program Assistant: These duties comprise 40 percent of the position and support the Program Manager with a range of program implementation tasks.
• Process monthly BayREN invoice packet and track capital
• Review and assemble Partner Utility reconciliation report packets
• Support Utility recruitment research and outreach
• Serve as liaison for Partner Utility communications
• Facilitate lead generation for multifamily, municipal, institutional, and business customers
• Provide program content for Partner Utility websites/newsletters
• Promote program at meetings and community events
BayREN Programs ― Local Government Liaison: These duties comprise 60 percent of the position and include serving as BayREN liaison to RCPA’s local government members to (1) educate and update city/county staff on BayREN’s 10 energy and water efficiency programs, (2) facilitate effective integration of BayREN solutions into community planning, and (3) ensure local government constituents have easy access to BayREN’s clean energy, climate resilient services.
• Facilitate the RCPA/Sonoma County Climate and Resiliency Division monthly coordination meetings
• Provide regular BayREN updates and presentations for city/county staff at RCPA Members and Partners meetings, additional committees, and member governing bodies
• Provide BayREN content and links for local government websites, social media, and newsletters
• Provide BayREN event and other news notifications
• Support integration of BayREN services into local government planning initiatives (such as affordable
housing and climate resilience)
• Partner with local community-based organizations to facilitate outreach and education to Sonoma
County BIPOC communities
• Conduct assessments to determine how local BayREN programs are meeting equity objectives
Desired skills include:
• Excellent organizational skills (e.g., critical thinking, attention to detail, problem solving)
• Experience with energy efficiency and or water conservation program implementation
• Strong self-management skills (e.g., time management, organization, self-motivation)
• Excellent communication skills (e.g., writing, speaking, presenting, listening)
• Excellent interpersonal skills (e.g., relationship building, active listening, collaboration)
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Products
• Experience with leading partnerships across diverse stakeholders
• Ability to attend evening or weekend meetings, events, and/or workshops
• Fluency in Spanish
Any combination of training and experience that would provide the required knowledge, skills, and abilities is qualifying. Equivalent to a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in an energy-related field such as environmental studies, sustainability studies, urban planning, building science, economics, business, or public administration and two years of responsible professional experience in energy efficiency, water conservation, clean energy financing, or a related area. Public agency experience is highly desirable.
General Overview of the Bay Area Regional Energy Network (BayREN)
The Bay Area Regional Energy Network (BayREN) is a regional energy network composed of the nine county government members of the Association of Bay Area Governments (ABAG). ABAG’s county members include Alameda (represented by StopWaste), Contra Costa, Marin, Napa, San Francisco, San Mateo, Santa Clara, Solano (represented by Solano Economic Development Corp.), and Sonoma (represented by the Sonoma County Regional Climate Protection Authority). For more information: https://www.bayren.org/
BayREN programs include Home+ (Single Family), Green Labeling, Bay Area Multifamily Building Enhancement (BAMBE/Multifamily), Water Upgrades Save, BayREN Business FLEXmarket, Codes and Standards, BayREN Refrigerant Replacement, Public Sector ― Integrated Energy Services, Public Sector ― Targeted Decarbonization Resources, and Workforce Education and Training. The Water Upgrades Save program serves BayREN, ABAG, and Bay Area municipal water utilities to address California’s mounting water supply and climate adaptation challenges. Water Upgrades Save delivers efficiency as a service by supporting the installation of energy and water efficiency measures in existing buildings using an on-bill financing mechanism. Program participants save water and money to obtain economic and environmental benefits and build overall community resilience to future water scarcity risks. BayREN is funded by utility ratepayer funds through the California Public Utilities Commission, as well as other sources.