PIONEER ELECTRIC COOPERATIVE, INC.
POSITION: LINEMAN LOCATION: GREENVILLE, AL
Summary: The Lineman position is responsible for assisting in the installation, repair, and maintenance of energized or non-energized overhead and underground electrical power lines and auxiliary equipment.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Identify line direction feeds and use maps for operational area to implement switching procedures, trouble shoot overhead and underground electrical distribution and transmission systems, bypass breakers and regulators and assist in stringing wires, setting poles and anchors, pull slack out of primary and secondary wires and hanging transformers, lightening arrestors, cutouts, crossarms, and insulators.
- Assist with strings, splices, transfers, and sags wire in energized or de-energized circuits and connects wires and transformers as specified or directed. Shortens or lengthens lines by adding or removing wire, using a variety of types of splices, connectors, sleeves, or clamps. Regularly works above ground on poles or steel towers using climbers and safety belt or operating bucket and digger trucks, or other specialized equipment. Ability to place equipment properly. Uses a variety of underground locating and fault-finding equipment.
- Assist with routing or re-routing power lines over, under or around existing lines and structures, regularly working above, on, or near energized lines. Selects and uses a variety of "hot line" tools and makes use of rubber gloves, line hoses, mechanical jumpers, fiber guards, blankets and other protective devices as specified. Works on primary and secondary voltages as required throughout the system.
- With use of bucket truck and/or pole climbing equipment, installs and removes transformers, including primary and secondary current transformers and self-contained meters; cut-outs, disconnecting switches, circuit breakers and other overhead line and U.R.D. devices, rigging block and tackle where necessary or working with ground crew and winch to raise or lower equipment. May install night lights, working with primary and secondary voltages. May change transformer locations on maps.
- Performs line switching or sectionalizing as directed. Performs emergency repairs, phases and connects circuits under load; performs load checks and balances feeders as required.
- Assists with installing, removing, transferring, maintaining and/or repairing cross arms, pins, insulators, guys, transformer and switch racks and other overhead pole and Underground Residential Distribution (U.R.D.) equipment using a variety of hand tools, equipment, and power tools.
- Inspects lines, poles, and equipment for signs of damage or wear and reports deficiencies.
- Carries poles, digs holes, pikes and guys poles and other such operations involved in the setting or replacing of poles; may erect steel towers.
- Knowledge and skill to perform first aid techniques, CPR, and pole top rescue.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Education: High School diploma or GED equivalency plus completion of line school. Knowledge of electrical and safety codes, (i.e. National Electrical Codes, RUS Construction Codes and OSHA Safety Codes).
- Experience: Minimum of five years (5) of line work experience in electric utility line work and has qualified by written examination. Must possess a valid CDL class A driver’s license and current DOT Medical Card.
- Functional Competencies: Problem solving, mechanical aptitude, troubleshooting, critical thinking, judgment, decision making, active listening, communication, time management, customer service, patience.
- Must reside in permanent dwelling within a 15-mile radius.
- Must take a turn in standby on rotational basis and satisfy response percentage rate.
Click apply to submit your resume for immediate consideration