PIONEER ELECTRIC COOPERATIVE, INC.
POSITION: GROUNDMAN LOCATION: GREENVILLE, AL
SUMMARY: The Groundman position is responsible to assist line crew members by working on the ground, handing tools and heavy materials to workers, digging pole and anchor holes, and performing other similar work in connection with the construction and maintenance of overhead and underground power lines.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Works safely while assisting apprentices and linemen by performing general helper duties from the ground
- Digs pole & anchor holes, sets anchors
- Sets, aligns and frames poles according to RUS standards
- Performs general clean-up of job sites following completion of work
- Clears undergrowth and trees from right-of-way by using hand tools or saws and clears paths of debris
- Stages job site for utility crews, including but not limited to positioning reels of electric cable, laying heavy residential underground distribution
cables in ditches
- Assures trucks, tool, and equipment are in proper working order
- Performs preventative maintenance on tools
- Washes trucks as required
- Reports any truck or equipment irregularities to supervisor
- Notifies members of impending disruption of service while lines are under repair
- Handles complaints or problems with courtesy & tact and refers member to supervisor
- Performs flagman duties and traffic control
- Operates radio communication equipment, abiding by Cooperative rules
- Performs other duties as assigned
- High School diploma or GED equivalency, technical education in electrical training preferred
- Experience: Must be able to obtain a proper valid CDL and DOT Medical Card. Must reside within a 15-mile radius of the Greenville office.
Work Schedule Requirements:
- Must be willing to work non-duty hours including overtime, holidays and weekends in emergency situations. Must be willing to work as a “B” person on standby.
- Problem solving, mechanical aptitude, troubleshooting, critical thinking, flexibility, judgment, decision making, active listening and communication skills, time management, customer service, patience. Must be able to perform first aid and CPR as needed.
- Must be willing to participate in specialized training as requested. Must be willing to travel overnight occasionally.
- Must be able to successfully complete the lineman apprenticeship program, which includes becoming a qualified climber & proficiently demonstrating the ability to perform.
To apply, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and ensure that “PEC Groundman” is included in the subject line. Do not reply through the posting.
Resumes may also be submitted by USPS to:
PEC Groundman, Pioneer Electric Cooperative, PO Box 468, Greenville, AL 36037.
Pioneer Electric Cooperative, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer, including veterans and