Research Scientist- Quantum Technologies
NY Creates is a leading research and development hub as well as a commercialization facilitator in advanced digital, analog, and power technologies.
Job responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Conduct research and development activities on quantum devices and interconnects at 300 mm wafer scale, with applications to superconducting digital logic, superconducting neuromorphic computing, quantum computing, sensing and communications, using superconducting materials and materials for UV-VIS transparent waveguides and electrooptic modulation on silicon substrates
- Rapidly gain familiarity with 300mm wafer-scale processing technologies and wafer fab operational software (SiView) to create and update process flows.
- Characterize structures and devices created in the 300 mm fab, including characterization of materials and interfaces, with in-fab metrology equipment and applicable offline characterization techniques available on site (sputter-profiling XPS, TEM, cross-sectional SEM, SIMS).
- Analyze data to guide further process/design improvements in predictable device performance and reliability in fabrication, develop process design kits for use by NY CREATES partners.
- Partner with 300 mm fab team (process and metrology) to identify fruitful avenues for performance improvement, develop plan of action and execute them in a timely fashion.
- Work with research partners (Brookhaven National Lab, Pacific Northwest National Lab, Air Force Research Lab, Rome, NY, NIST etc) to obtain cryogenic characterization data to guide improvements of materials and processes.
- Work with the team and supervisor on creating reports, and publications.
- Contribute to growing R&D partnerships with start-up and established companies, academia, national laboratories, and other research institutions.
- Help establish NY CREATES as a leader in emerging technology areas through world-class research that aims to accelerate new technologies towards commercial adoption.
- Other reasonable duties as assigned.
- Ph.D. degree from college or University accredited by the US Department of Education or internationally recognized accrediting organization.
- Research experience in one or more areas of the following: superconducting materials and superconducting devices, cryogenic characterization,
- Commitment to research data management with integrity.
- Familiarity with (or ability to rapidly become familiar with) software products made available by NY CREATES including Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, SONNET, CasaXPS, etc.
- This position is contingent on the satisfactory completion of a background check; this position may require annual background checks.
- Ph.D. thesis work on superconducting materials and devices from top tier university
- Track-record of publications in high impact factor journals, in areas relating to superconducting materials and devices for digital electronics and/or quantum computing.
- Experience working in large teams.
- Medical, Vision, and Dental
- Competitive Pay and PTO
- Flexible Heath Spending and Dependent Care Accounts
- Basic / Optional Life Insurance
- Post-Retirement Health Insurance
- Employer contribution of 7% of earnings to a Basic Retirement plan after meeting one year of service.
- Optional employee contributed retirement account.
Salary Range: $75,000-$100,000
*Posted range is determined upon experience and education.
Location: 257 Fuller Road, Albany, NY 12203
Employment is with the Research Foundation for SUNY which is an Equal opportunity Employer including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans.
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), if you have a disability and require a reasonable accommodation to apply, please call Human Resources at 518-437-8686.