Associate Vice President of Engineering and Infrastructure
NY Creates is a leading research and development hub as well as a commercialization facilitator in advanced digital, analog, and power technologies.
Job Description for AVP of Engineering & Infrastructure
Associate Vice President of Engineering & Infrastructure is responsible for all aspects of construction at the SUNY Polytechnic Institute. This position will report directly to the Vice President for EHS and Facilities Engineering and be responsible for both rearrangements and infrastructure upgrades of existing facility as well as the construction of new buildings, cleanrooms, and site infrastructure.
Responsibilities for AVP of Engineering & Infrastructure
1 .Provide management and technical leadership of the Vice President for EHS and Facilities Engineering team responsible for all site construction including rearrangements and infrastructure upgrades of the existing facility as well as the construction of new buildings, cleanrooms, labs, and infrastructure. Employ accepted Project Management practices including the development and sign-off of baseline project documents, implementation of a work order and change order process, and proper project close-out. Manage all design and construction contracts with architects and construction managers. Drive staff and suppliers to provide cost competitive, reliable, timely and effective engineering solutions on all design and construction projects. Independently develop concepts, cost sizings, and presentations to sell programs and report status to the Vice President for EHS and Facilities Engineering executive team. Insure construction projects do not impact ongoing operations. Maintain Work with consultants to develop site master plan and insure construction is consistent with future plans.
2. Work closely with facilities team and suppliers to insure that projects remain on budget and on schedule. Develop detailed budgets and schedules, identify all dependencies and insure stakeholders understand status and gating needs. Present budget and schedule status to Vice President for EHS and Facilities Engineering executives. Use, or drive construction manager to use, industry standard project schedule software tools.
3. Support tool installations as required and insure site utilities, infrastructure, and cleanroom fit-up is adequate to install and connect tooling. Assist in efforts to create and maintain site utility matrix that will allow Vice President for EHS and Facilities Engineering to determine capacity vs. demand for all cleanrooms, buildings, and the overall site. Drive consultants to provide on time, on budget, high quality work for all tool hook-up design/build efforts.
4. Insure that all proper Vice President for EHS and Facilities Engineering staff is involved in all new construction concepts, design reviews, and system turnovers with sign-off as appropriate. Insure that architects turn over properly formatted AutoCAD masters for Vice President for EHS and Facilities Engineering files. Insure that construction managers properly close-out projects with completed punch lists and turn-over of O & M manuals to operations personnel.
5. Initiate and maintain close and collaborative relationships with appropriate compliance entities, consultants, and construction managers. Drive consultants to prepare site plans and SEQRA documents and assist Vice President for EHS and Facilities Engineering in obtaining approval from all required agencies on new buildings and expansions. Insure all designs meet current codes and assist SUNY code compliance officer in code reviews of existing buildings. Maintain knowledge of engineering consultants and construction management firms. Recommend consultants and contractors for bid lists based on knowledge of their strengths. Evaluate cost, proposed staff, and technical ability. Manage suppliers to meet all deliverables including invoicing that is correct and audit ready. Give suppliers clear and straight forward feedback on their performance.
6. Develop and sell proposed staffing plans. Delegate assignments to employees and team members to insure overall program and site goals are achieved. Lead by example, communicate clear goals, and provide straight forward feedback on team and individual efforts. Encourage employees and teams to independently drive work efforts, make key decisions, and work as a team to solve problems. Resolve disagreements quickly and assist employees in breaking down barriers into progress both within and outside of the organization. Provide weekend duty manager coverage on a rotation basis as required to cover any site issues or emergencies.
- Bachelor degree in Engineering or related field of science
- 5 years of progressively responsible experience in the facilities engineering organization of a major semiconductor manufacturer or with an engineering firm or construction manager providing services to the semiconductor industry.
- Experience must include the Project Management of major programs involving new fabs or cleanroom renovations over $10M in value. Experience in 300mm tool installation also desired.
- Solid understanding of all facilities site and building systems including HVAC, exhaust, abatement systems, chillers, boilers, waste treatment, process gases, chemical distribution, compressed air, process cooling water and DI water.
- Knowledgeable in cleanroom air management systems including VLF and turbulent flow rooms. Experience with 3 level fabs with both open and closed waffle slabs.
- Knowledge of methods and materials required to renovate an existing building into a fab/cleanroom or build a new Greenfield fab/cleanroom.
- Knowledgeable in the discipline of formal Project Management. Experience in following all steps from base line creation to change order process, to acceptance/turnover.
- Working knowledge of New York's SEQRA permit process including creation of site plans, EIA/EAF Forms, and negotiating with all agencies involved.
- Knowledge of 300mm tools and utility/building requirements. Experience handling fast track hook-up projects.
- Proven ability to matrix, manage and lead cross functional teams responsible for the design and construction of major Facilities programs.
- Understanding of NYS building and Fire Codes.
- Experience working with local Town officials on building permits and inspections.
- Understanding of all aspects of construction safety. Experience with investigating root cause of accidents and developing action plans to prevent reoccurrence.
- Working knowledge of design consultants and construction managers with the skill and proven experience to successfully handle cleanroom/new building construction. Experience in creating SOW's, bid lists, evaluating proposals, and awarding contracts.
Don't meet every requirement? At NY Creates we are dedicated to building a welcoming, diverse and inclusive work place. If you are excited about working for NY Creates but your experience doesn't exactly align perfectly with the job description we encourage you to apply anyway, you might still be a perfect fit or a fit for another role at NY Creates.
- Medical, Vision, and Dental
- Competitive Pay and PTO
- Flexible Heath Spending and Dependent Care Accounts
- Basic / Optional Life Insurance
- Post-Retirement Health Insurance
- Employer contribution of 7% of earnings to a Basic Retirement plan after meeting one year of service.
- Optional employee contributed retirement account
Location: 257 Fuller Road, Albany, NY 12203
Employment is with the Research Foundation for SUNY which is an Equal opportunity Employer including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans.
Research Foundation employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by the Research Foundation.
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), if you have a disability and require a reasonable accommodation to apply please call Human Resources at 518-437-8686.