Civil Engineer 1/2
Do you want to be part of a dynamic organization well known for excellence and commitment to high-quality and effective services? The City of Eugene Public Works Engineering Division is recruiting for a Civil Engineer 1/2. The department has been recognized by our peers across the country for excellence with numerous awards, and invitations to present at professional gatherings including APWA regional and national conferences. The City offers a generous comprehensive benefit package including insurance benefits, retirement, paid vacation, sick leave and holidays.
The Civil Engineer 1/2 performs complex professional engineering work in the design, investigation, construction management, and project management of public works projects. Acts as project manager and provides direction and supervision to technical staff. Assignments require the use of judgment and initiative in developing solutions to problems, interpreting general policies, and determining work assignments.
Application Deadline - Open until filled.
Next Review of applications - Friday, July 22, 2022
Accepting online applications only.
To be considered for this position you must attach to this application a cover letter and a current résumé highlighting relevant civil engineering and project management related experience with month(s)/year(s) of employment and duties relevant to the posted position.
Examples of Duties Performed - Duties may include but are not limited to the following
- Performs, manages, and directs the design and preparation of plans, specifications, schedules and cost estimates for public works projects including, but not limited to, street improvements, wastewater collection lines, storm drains, pump stations, airport, stormwater quality facilities, stream restorations, bike paths, traffic signals, bridges, illumination projects, and striping and signing plans.
- Directs and assigns professional and technical staff performing survey, design, construction inspection and contract management of capital projects in accordance with established schedules, specifications, and standards.
- Acts as lead representative for public works projects to other City departments, Divisions, sections, and with outside public agencies, consultants, engineers, developers, and contractors, and the public.
- Manages Federally funded projects, often as part of the City's certification with the Oregon Department of Transportation.
- Provides technical and professional engineering support services relative to assigned areas of responsibility.
To read full job description, click the APPLY button.
- Principles and practices of civil engineering as applied to the design and construction of public works infrastructure improvements.
- Methods, materials, and techniques used in the construction of public works and utilities projects.
- Modern developments, current literature, and sources of information regarding engineering and construction.
- Principles of advanced mathematics and their application to engineering work.
- Engineering design and drafting software.
- Principles of supervision and training.
- Public contracting law.
- Knowledge of Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) current standards and guidelines for the public Right-of-Way. Experience evaluating and designing sidewalk access ramps and pedestrian crossings that comply with current ADA standards and guidelines.
- Pertinent Federal, State, and local laws, codes, and regulations.
- Analyze problems, identify alternative solutions, determine potential consequences of proposed actions, and implement recommendations in support of goals.
- Coordinate complex engineering designs, project management, and computations; prepare engineering plans and studies with minimum supervision.
- Interpret, apply, and ensure compliance with Federal, State, and local policies, procedures, laws, and regulations
- Conduct engineering research; write technical reports.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
- Supervise and train staff.
Any equivalent combination of education and experience which provides the applicant with the knowledge, skills, and abilities required to perform the job. Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply for jobs unless they believe they are able to perform every task in the job description. We are most interested in finding the best candidate for the job, and that candidate may be one who comes with relevant transferrable skills from a variety of sources and experiences. The City will consider any equivalent combination of knowledge, skills, education, and experience to meet minimum qualifications. If you are interested in applying, we encourage you to think broadly about your background and skill set for the role.
Depending upon the knowledge, skills, and abilities possessed by the successful applicant, this position may be filled as either a Civil Engineer 1 or Civil Engineer 2.
A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
Civil Engineer 1 & 2
Bachelor's degree from an ABET accredited college or university, with major course work in Civil Engineering, or related field(s).
License or Certificate
A valid Oregon driver's license or, the ability to obtain by date of hire; must pass driving records check and, if hired, maintain a driving record that meets the City's standard. Oregon law requires that an out-of-state license holder must obtain a valid Oregon license (with appropriate endorsements) within 30 days of becoming domiciled in the state (ORS 803.355).
Civil Engineer 1
Two years directly related civil engineering experience.
Possession of a State of Oregon Certificate of Enrollment as an Engineering Intern.
Civil Engineer 1 - Annual Salary - $74,526.40 - $96,387.20
Civil Engineer 2
Five years of professional civil engineering experience including one year of supervisory experience.
Possession of a State of Oregon Certificate of Registration as a professional engineer, or ability to obtain by reciprocity within 6 months of hire date.
Civil Engineer 2 - Annual Salary - $81,078.40 - $107,036.80
Click the APPLY NOW button to read the full job description and follow the application process.
ABOUT EUGENE, OREGON
The City of Eugene is located in the Willamette Valley, which offers a wide range of recreational activities to residents and visitors. Home to the University of Oregon, Eugene is a progressive community with engaged residents, a vibrant arts community and is known as Track Town USA; hosting national and international track and field events. Eugene offers many of the amenities of a larger city while retaining the feel and characteristics of a smaller city including a strong sense of community and a short commute to work with little traffic congestion