About the Pay
Note: The target starting pay of $44.10 does not reflect the full range which currently goes up to $49.00 per hour. The compensation typically increases quickly within the first two years of successful performance and proven mastery of skills.
About Central Arizona Project
Central Arizona Project, a 336-mile system that brings Colorado River water to central and southern Arizona, delivers the state's single largest renewable water supply and serves 80% of the state's population.
We employ nearly 500 people who enjoy a team oriented and safety focused work culture. The close community of a small company is driven to help fulfill our extremely valuable mission. We offer highly competitive salaries and excellent benefits including membership in the Arizona State Retirement System, 401(k), medical, dental, vision and life insurance coverage, 4-10 work schedule, and significant investment in employee training and development. Employees are eligible for benefits on their first day of employment. CAP is truly a great place to work!
About the Responsibilities
As an HVAC Technician, you would perform a variety of electrical and mechanical work related to the safe and efficient operation, maintenance, installation and repair and of all critical HVAC systems associated with Central Arizona Project (CAP) pumping plants, administrative campuses, server rooms, mountaintop telecommunication, checks and turnout structures, and groundwater recharge facilities. Equipment includes chillers, pumps, cooling towers, DX package air conditioners and heat pumps, data process and telecommunications environmental controls, direct digital controls, EMS systems, electric boilers, and large air handlers.
Some of the duties include:
- Performs installation, maintenance and repair of HVAC Systems. Troubleshoots complex HVAC and DDC systems. Uses tools of the trade and electronic test equipment, including laptop PC’s, to configure, test and repair systems. Responsible for after-hours callouts to perform emergency repairs of maintained equipment with voltages up to 480 volts.
- Performs preventive maintenance (PM) on HVAC systems and components. Documents the maintenance activities performed and advises supervision of potential safety and equipment failure problems and corrective action required. Works with Maintenance Engineering to develop and update PM procedures.
- Safely operates overhead cranes and hoists, using proper crane signaling, and performs the necessary rigging required.
- Works in confined spaces, performs lock-out/tag-out functions, and switches high voltage HVAC equipment under safe clearance procedures.
About the Qualifications
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Completed state certified HVAC apprenticeship or have an equivalent combination of education, experience and demonstrated ability.
- Three (3) years of journeyman level work experience in the Industrial HVAC mechanical trade; or completion of the CAP HVAC apprenticeship program (or other apprenticeship deemed comparable to CAP apprenticeship by management).
- Highly proficient in air cooled chiller systems, large commercial DX systems, and large air handler systems (both DX and chilled water).
- Knowledgeable of proper refrigerant charging, recovery, maintenance, troubleshooting, installation and repair of these systems.
- Basic technical understanding of Direct Digital Controls and how to operate and troubleshoot HVAC components through the use of a DDC System.
- Knowledgeable of industrial safety requirements including clearance, lock out-tag out, and switching procedures.
Required Certifications or Licenses:
Must have a valid driver’s license and maintain a good driving record. Must possess Refrigerant transition and recovery certification universal type as required by 40 CFR part 82, subpart F, by the United States Environmental Protection Agency.
Preference given to candidates who have the following:
- Highly proficient in other industrial HVAC system components, evaporative coolers, electric boilers, and data center/ telecommunications environmental equipment.
- Highly proficient in the knowledge of Direct Digital Controls and how to operate and program these systems.
Please note that this position has some physical requirements and pre-employment physical testing would be required upon offer.
Click HERE to see the full position description.
If you are experienced and highly skilled in the responsibilities of this job (mentioned above), have a team-focused positive approach to work, and are looking for a rewarding career with a stable organization in the Phoenix area, then we encourage you to apply online today! Your water, your future.